Goslar

thumb|300px|Goslar's Imperial Palace Kaiserpfalz

47 things to do

All Places Germany



Town Hall and Hall of Homage

'''Town Hall''' ''(Rathaus)'' – The Goslar Town Hall is, indeed, a building of the centuries: the east wing with the arcades opening onto the Market Square was begun in the middle of the 15th century and over the following 400 years the Town Hall was continually extended and enlarged. Today its overall impression is determined by the 16th century additions: a period of great prosperity for Goslar, which, as a member of Hanseatic League and a Free Imperial City, profited from the flourishing mining industry. The Town Hall still serves its original purpose, housing the Lord Mayor’s Office and the hall where the Town Council still discuss the weal of the town under the beautiful star-studded wooden ceiling. '''Hall of Homage''' ''(Huldigungssaal)'' – The Hall of Homage was set up as a council chamber between 1505 and 1520. It is a unique jewel of late Gothic interior decoration: its walls, the ceiling and even the window alcoves are completely covered with wood panel paintings. Each painting is an artwork of quality, contributing to the overwhelming complete ensemble. Richly carved wood decorations surround each painting. After many years of restoration the room is now protected by complex environmental protection devices so that this masterpiece can be preserved for future generations.

SEE   —  +49 5321 78060 —  Markt 7

Tin Figure Museum

In the beautiful historical building of „Lohmühle“ (early 16th century) – set in romantic Klapperhagen – you will find the Goslar-Museum of tin-figures. The museum was founded by a group of sponsors in 1985. Experts and connoisseurs of the scene call it the most beautiful museum of its kind in Germany. Main subject of interest is the representation of the 1000 years of history of mining as well as the historical events of the region in general. The tin-figures are use as means of demonstration of these events and situations. Through presentation of historical information in the form of diorama (it´s a scene), that depict fragments of characteristic situations, the visitor gets the chance to approach the cultural-historical facts and situations on a “personal” level. On two floors the presentation shows about 100 diorama and more than 10.000 hand painted tin-figures. Besides the possibility of looking at the tin-figures our museum offers the opportunity to get inside information about the practical part of making the figures at our workshop. Offering the opportunity to make as well as paint a figure by yourself is part of the main concept of the museum. Also for the collector of tin-figures there is a wide range of tin-figures for sale which are partly produced in our own workshop.

SEE   —  +49 5321 25889 —  Klapperhagen 1


Frankenberg Church

The Frankenberg Church of St. Peter and Paul Church was built in the 12th century as a three-aisled, cruciform, pillared basilica with a flat ceiling. It stands on the highest point in the west of town. The steeples were part of the town wall. The existence of the church is documented for 1108 and beginning in 1234 it was also used for the nuns of the neighbouring St. Mary Magdalena Convent. Around 1240 the roof was vaulted, in the 14th and 15th centuries Gothic alterations of the choir and the southerly transept are recorded, in 1783 the badly deteriorated steeples were removed and the Baroque tower roof added, and in 1873/80 extensive restoration of the interior and exterior was carried out. The Frankenberg Church was the parish church of miners who lived in close proximity to the mines in the Frankenberg Quarter. The bell inscriptions and the Mining Thanksgiving festival on Sunday before Ash Wednesday are reminiscent of this.


Market Church St. Cosmas and Damian

The Goslar Market Church, first mentioned in 1151, was built as a smaller copy of the Imperial Church, which no longer exists, in the form of a triple-aisled, pillared basilica with two spires in the west. In the 14th and 15th centuries the choir was enlarged and an additional nave was added on both sides. Today it not only attracts attention through its central location on the Market Square but also because of its very high unmatched steeples, which assist in orientation and provide attractive views from various points in the Old Town. Of special note are the nine medieval stained glass windows from the first third of the 13th century, the old library, the bronze baptismal font from 1573, the remnant of a Late Gothic mural from around 1440 and the wooden Baroque altar from 1659. The North steeple of the Market Church has been made accessible for a view over the town.



Zwinger

The massive Zwinger Tower arrests the attention of those driving by. Pedestrians in the green belt park, as well, stop to gaze in awe. Built to protect the Rammelsberg and the east flank of the town up to the Broad Gate, it was one of the mightiest defences in Europe. Up to 1000 people could find safety in its four storeys in case of siege. Measuring 26 metres in diameter, the tower's lower walls are over 6 metres thick. Today it houses a private '''Museum of the Late Middle Ages''' where armour and weapons for knights and musketeers, instruments of torture as well as boors’ weapons from 1524 are on display. From the rooftop there is a good view across Goslar and toward the mountains. It also houses a restaurant and holiday flats.


Claus Chapel

This small Romanesque hall church from the 12th century was incorporated in the town fortifications and served as a gate chapel. From 1537 onwards it was the miners' hospice chapel, replacing their former church in the Bergdorp village, which had been destroyed. The miners passed through the Claus Gate going to and coming from mines and the chapel served for hundreds of years for prayer and church services. The Frankenberg Parish had the pulpit rights and obtained the chapel from the mine administration in 1969. In 1988 following the last shift in the mines the miners visited the chapel for the last time. Today it is used regularly by the Frankenberg parish congregation for prayer and church services.



Mönchehaus-Museum Goslar

The Mönchehaus Museum is a renowned museum of modern art. Works of artists of international acclaim, such as Joseph Beuys, Max Ernst, Georg Baselitz and Eduardo Chilida, are on display in the rooms of the citizen farmer’s house from 1528 and the adjoining half- timbered buildings, the stone- vaulted cellars and the sculpture garden. Changing exhibits of works of different artists can be viewed in the three storeys of the 1528 house. Every year the town of Goslar presents the internationally acclaimed art award, the "Kaiser Ring", and the accompanying exhibit of works of the recipient opens at the Mönchehaus.


Harzer Hexen-Stieg (Harz Witches Steep Path)

In the middle of Germany, in the middle of the Harz Mountains. An approximately one hundred kilometre hiking trail across Germany’s northernmost Middle Mountain Range; from east to west or west to east, via the legendary '''Brocken peak''', the highest mountain in the north: the Harzer-Hexen-Stieg (Steep Harz Witches Trail) makes it possible. The entire beauty of the Harz Mountains lies at the hiker's feet. Light-dappled mixed forests and dense coniferous forests, colourfully shimmering mountain meadows and steeply soaring cliffs, softly babbling brooks and majestic reservoirs.



Goslar Museum

In the prebendary house from 1514 extensive exhibits covering the history and art history of the town as well as the geology and mineralogy of the region can be viewed. Outstanding objects: the famed Krodo Altar (early 12th century), the Goslar Evangeliar (13th century), a collection of over 1000 coins bearing the Goslar mint stamp, the miners’ tankard from 1477 and the original Market Fountain eagle from the 14 th century. Further exhibits cover the life of everyday people over the last 10 centuries. A fascinating trip back in time.


St. Anne’s House

Just five minutes away from the Market Square, between the Glockengießer Straße and the Abzucht stream, is Goslar’s oldest unaltered half-timbered house. This almshouse was founded in 1488 and contains portions of a Romanesque stone “Kemenate” with a medieval kitchen, the large one-room hall, and a chapel. Of particular note is the Baroque altar by Jobst Heinrich Lessen and the artfully-worked Margarete Tapestry from the 15th century with 32 illustrations of the life of the martyred saint.

SEE   —  +49 5321 39870 —  St. Annenhaus

Upper Harz Water Regal National Monument

The Upper Harz Water Regal is both an industrial monument and a beauty of nature. (A “regal” was a royal prerogative, in this case permitting the exploitation of water resources.) In part over 300 years old, the waterways include 70 lakes, long water courses, galleries and mechanical constructions which served the miners as a source of energy. Today hiking paths, educational trails and museums trace evidences of mining in the Harz.


YHA Hostel Goslar

The YHA hostel can be found at the southwestern edge of Goslar on a hill overlooking the town. Its slate roof and half timbered façade make the building instantly recognisable. Membership of the International Youth Hostel Association is required. There are 163 beds, each room has 2 - 8 beds and a washing facility. The rooms in the annex have 12 beds and are suited for visitors with disabilities.


Maltermeister Tower

The 14th century tower on the slope of the Rammelsberg above Goslar is the oldest above ground mining building of the nearby mine works. In 1578 it became the bell tower for the miners and in 1740 living quarters for the warden in charge of wood for the mines (the “Maltermeister”) were incorporated. Today it houses a restaurant which is very popular for outings. Many trails begin and end here.


Skiing

On a high meadow there are two ski lifts and a cable car. There are also other resorts, i.e. [http://www.torfhauslifte.de/index1.html Torfhaus] {{dead link|May 2016}} and [http://www.wurmberg-seilbahn.de/ Wurmberg] in the Harz Highlands, which offer skiing facilities up to grade 4/5 in a scale of 10.


Airfield at Bollrich

Motorized glider flights over the town of Goslar and the Harz Mountains are possible from the airfield just outside. Experienced pilots make the bird's-eye view of the beautiful town and its surroundings possible; filming and photographing are allowed. An unforgettable experience for sure!


Kaiserpfalz Imperial Palace

– built between 1040 and 1050. For more than 200 years German and European history was made here. Open: April - Oct: 10AM - 5PM, Nov - March: 10AM - 4PM, closed during special events. Admission: Adults € 7.50, Children/Youth € 4.50. Kaiserbleek 6, Phone: 0049 (0) 5321-311 9693

SEE   —  Map

Pure Air Resort Hahnenklee

Ski slopes, cross-country ski trails, a toboggan run and ice skating make Hahnenklee a popular winter sports location. Snow-making facilities assure snow in the skiing and tobogganing areas, which are easily accessible by the trail network and the cabin funicular railway.


Harz National Park

Nature preservation area covering approximately 20.000 ha of the Harz Middle Mountain Range. Primeval natural elements such as the block fields, raised bogs, rivers and forests are preserved here. National Park Rangers introduce visitors to the natural attractions.


World Cultural Heritage Rammelsberg Museum and Visitors' Mine Works

Different prices for different tours above and underground. Few buildings (baths, workshops, warehouses) and underground corridors accessible. Attractions include a ride in old miners' underground train and mining tools showing. Guides speak a few languages.

SEE   —  Bergtal 19

Haus Lieselotte

Family Guesthouse in Hahnenklee-Bockswiese. Equipment: parking lot, TV room, garden/park at the house, discount for children, quiet location near the forest. A total of 8 beds, 2 singles, 3 doubles.


Hotel Kaiserworth****

At the historical market place directly in the centre. Has also an excellent restaurant, the "Worth", and a confectionery with delicious cream cakes... yummy yummy!

SLEEP   —  +49 5321 7090 —  Markt 3

Restaurant Aubergine

Markt St. 4, T:. Novel, vegetarian, Mediterranean and Persian cuisine. Highly acclaimed (Michelin Guide) restaurant with a nice ambience for the gourmet.

EAT   —  +49 5321 42136 —  Map

Restaurant Worthmühle

Worth St. 4. T:. Known for its excellent game dishes directly from the Harz Mountains. Located in a cosy old mill at the river Gose in the town centre.

EAT   —  +49 5321 43402 —  Map

Haus am Steinberg

They offer 13 double rooms and 21 single rooms with shower and toilet. Seminar rooms of various sizes with modern media equipment waiting for you.

SEE   —  +49 5321 75880 —  Zeppelinstr. 1

Kunsthandwerk im Großen Heiligen Kreuz

At the Hostice of the Great Holy Cross you have artisans and goldsmiths where you can find yourselves the right gifts & souvenirs to take home.

BUY   —  Hoher Weg 7

Odermark Factory Outlet

There is a factory outlet at the Odermark textile plant, where you might wish to purchase some formal men's wear off the shelf at half price.

BUY   —  +49 5321 7080 —  Odermarkplatz 1

Campingplatz Am Kreuzeck

Suited for caravans. ca. 250 places. High up in the Upper Harz in the village of Hahnenklee, ca. 5 miles to the South of Goslar. Quiet.


Tiffany's Club

Located in the town centre opposite the market church. Young visitors. Do not expect the latest music and fashion.

DRINK   —  +49 5321 22886 —  Marktkirchhof 3

Restaurant Gosequell

An der Gose 23, T:, in the chefs' guildhall. Enjoy the locally brewed beer. Organic dishes. Best trout in town.

EAT   —  +49 5321 34050 —  Map

Trattoria Da Enzo

Bäckerster. 18, T:. The finest Italian meals in town. Top tip for authentic Sicilian cuisine.

EAT   —  +49 5321 23223 —  Map

Hotel Achtermann

Situated near the central railway station. Has a conference centre attached.

SLEEP   —  +49 5321 70000 —  Rosento St. 20r

White Swan

Nice outdoor beer garden. Located in an old half-timbered house.

DRINK   —  +49 5321 25737 —  Münz St. 11

Zwinger

A real castle to sleep in! With a selection of beautiful rooms.


Heckies Pub

To meet up with the locals. 1 mile south of the town centre.


Hotel Niedersächsischer Hof****

Opposite of the central railway station, newly refurbished.

SLEEP   —  +49 5321 3160 —  Klubgartenstr. 1-2

Gästehaus Möller

Total 27 beds, of those 5 single rooms, 11 double rooms.

SLEEP   —  +49 5321 23098 —  Schieferweg 6

Campingplatz Sennhütte

Camping site in the vicinity of the town centre. Clean.


King of Bavaria

Bavarian theme bar. In the dungeon of the town hall.

DRINK   —  +49 5321 392090 —  Markt 1

Tim’s 5 Tageszeiten

Most enjoyable venue. Modern flair. Jolly visitors.

DRINK   —  +49 5321 382999 —  Breite St. 98

Kaiserpassage

Shopping centre with a wide range of shops.

SEE   —  Map

La Bohéme

Large pub. Gigs of local bands. Rock music.

DRINK   —  +49 5321 394838 —  Schilder St.6

Volksbank Arena Harz

A paradise for mountain bikers.

DO   —  +49 5321 78060 —  Markt 7

Maxi Mumm

Bar with live music.

DRINK   —  +49 5321 22627 —  Markt St. 3

Brauhaus Wolpertinger

Bavarian theme bar.

DRINK   —  +49 5321 22155 —  Marstall St. 1

Heaven's Door

Irish themed pub.

DRINK   —  +49 5321 1214 —  Brüggemann St. 14

Quetsche

Local pub.

DRINK   —  +49 5321 24416 —  Marktkirchhof 4

About Goslar

Goslar was founded in 922 AD, although it is widely assumed that it has been settled since pre-Roman times. The town is famed for its magnificent gates and ramparts, the medieval Imperial Palace, Romanesque churches, its half timbered guild houses, the ancient Rammelsberg ore mine... and its witches, the last of which was burned at the stake in 1657 AD. In medieval times the city was a major producer of armouries and coins—the raw ores for their manufacture came from the Rammelsberg mine just outside the city's walls.


Source: wikivoyage