How would you define the role of the government?

Recent Questions Politics & Law

"We hold these truths to be self-evident that all men are created equal, and are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights. Among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, AND GOVERNMENTS ARE INSTITUTED AMONG MEN TO PROTECT THESE RIGHTS, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed."

"WE THE PEOPLE, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, ensure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to oursleves and our posterity do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

Idiotic. It just makes things worse.

Heres a thought no government and direct democracy

The role of the government is to serve the people and keep their best interests at heart. Doesn't always happen.

World government your thoughts

Well, this is one thing I learned while getting my Poli Sci degree...

Modern governments perform three classes of services:

* Aggregating funds to be spent on common needs
* Holding and disbursing funds for social insurance services
* Creating and adjudicating rules for interactions between people and institutions

Personally, I want my government to allocate resources effectively, have the people act as the "owners" of the government, and keep religion out of laws and policies.

Politicians Using the government money!

the role of the government is to be an accurate reflection of the will and beliefs of 'the people ' being governed.
in theory, sounds pretty good.
in reality it is not always so, because now we have elected individuals who use the office to express their will and beliefs upon the masses.
kind of makes me wish for the days of george washington and all those guys, where your peers more or less guided you towards the higher office, instead of greed and hidden political agendas.

Can you believe the US government is giving money to Islamists?

I would say, the role, or purpose of government is to protect the citizens natural rights to life, liberty and property as well as serving the common good!! :)

Another question about stupid government.. your oppinion?

To represent it's people and to work for the common interest of those people.

Do we need the US government to figure out how to make transactions secure?

its very simple just take the bush administration and do the complete opposite

Do you think the government should use Google Earth to enforce the laws?