What would you do, if the vet prescribed this dosage for your dog?

This question is long, but if you have the time, can you please read and give me your opinion? About 1 1/2 months ago, I took my Chihuahua Bandit to the vet, because he was wheezing, he was congested, his glands were swollen and he was gagging every time he drank some water. The vet diagnosed Bandit with a Respiratory Infection and Swollen Lymph Glands, which is why he was gagging when drinking water. The vet prescribed Clavamox 62.5 mg, to be given to Bandit 2 times a day for 7 days. After Bandit finished these Antibiotics, I took him back to the vet for a Re-Check. The vet checked Bandit and said the Respiratory Infection was gone and the Lymph Glands were no longer Swollen. Bandit was fine for a few weeks, then a couple of days ago I noticed that Bandit started getting the same symptoms again, like the first time. I took him back to the vet yesterday (Thursday) morning to have him checked again and the vet said the same Infection and the Swollen Glands was back again. What has me concerned, is that this time, the vet prescribed Clavamox again, only on the package it says for Bandit to be given (125 mg) of Clavamox in each dose, 2 times a day for 7 days. That’s 250 mg of Clavamox, in a 24 hour period for a 6 pound dog. To me that seems like a very large dose for a 6 pound Chihuahua. The normal dose from what I understand is 62.5 mg 2 times a day for 7-10 days, for a dog that small. I don’t want to question my vets authority, because I do trust him, he’s helped my Chihuahuas tremendously and is always there when I need him but at the same time, it scares me to give Bandit such a massive dose. My vet also has Chihuahuas of his own so he knows the breed but I’m wondering if this time he may have made a mistake on the dosage, or maybe I was given the wrong package of medication by the receptionist for Bandit. After I left the vets office and went to give Bandit his first dose, that’s when I noticed how high of a dosage he prescribed, so I called the vet to ask him, but the receptionist told me that he would be in surgery and that when he finished, she would have him call me back, which he always does when I have a question about any of my Chihuahuas. This time he did NOT call me back, so I have a feeling the receptionist forgot and did not tell him anything. I then called an Emergency Vet and told her what the situation was and she told me that she thought that was too high a dose for a 6 pound Chihuahua to be put on and to hold of giving Bandit the medication, until I call and talk to the vet this morning. I have NOT given Bandit any of this medication yet. I have a very bad feeling that if I do, it will make the situation worse for him and possibly cause him more harm than good. Am I just being paranoid or do you think that the vet may have made a mistake in the dosage? If you were in this situation, would you have gone ahead and chanced it and just given Bandit the dosage prescribed, or would you have questioned it and waited to call the vet and ask this morning? Did I do the right thing, by not giving Bandit any Clavamox like the E-Vet suggested? Do you think this dosage is too much for a 6 pound Chihuahua? Should I call and question my vet on this or just go ahead and take the chance on giving Bandit this high dosage? I’m sorry this is so long, but I’m desperate and I need some opinions! Thanks for your time and reading this. I hope that you can help! ADD: I’m sorry! I think I accidentally hit submit 1 too many times and this question posted twice. I did not mean to do that!

Answer #1

You’re a good pet owner to be concerned about the welfare of your dog - don’t second guess yourself.

If you have concerns, then talk to the vet about it. You took initiative in getting a second opinion, and that opinion was in agreement with you.

Hold off on the meds until you talk to your vet again.

Answer #2

I agree with ichi. I think that you did the right thing for your dog in the circumstances. Trusts your instincts and wait till your vet is available.

Answer #3

Sorry guys, I made a stupid mistake on Bandits weight. He weighs 7.2 pounds, not 6 pounds but I still think that’s too high of a dose for such a small dog! Sorry about that! I did call my vet, but the receptionist said he would not be in till later this morning, so I’m waiting for the call from him! I hate this, Bandit should have had 2 doses already and now I have to wait even longer, but I would rather be sure it’s ok and that this was not a mistake, before I take a chance and give him the medication and have something go wrong!

Answer #4

Ya know, if I were concerned, I’d just call and double check with the Vet. Like you said, he’s been the Vet for your dogs for a long time, so he won’t be offended. I’m sure he upped the dose because the infection wasn’t totally wiped out the last time…this time he’s going to make sure that Bandit doesn’t get reinfected. I don’t think this dosage is too much…dosage of antibiotics aren’t so much given by weight, as by the “germ”…higher dosage for bad bugs…weight doesn’t play that big of part.


Answer #5

Me as a animal lover I would talk to a different vet and get two or three opinions. My dog get cancer and one vet made it out to be a not a big deal and so we did surgery and then it came back so we did 1 more and it came back again and then we talked to the other vet and she said that if we couldn’t get the tumor size down well we would have to put her down and we did :’(“ But I would talk to a few different people and maybe see if that’s whats wrong with your dog. But yes I would not give him any pills until you talk to a vet.

More Like This

Pets and Animals

Pet Care, Animal Behavior, Veterinary Medicine

Ask an advisor one-on-one!

Simply For Dogs

Pets, Dogs, Blogs


Dogs Forum

Pet Care, Dog Training, Dog Breeding


SitDropStay - Dog Training

Pet Training, Dog Behavior Consulting, Puppy Training


Dogdayz Dog Boarding

Dog Boarding, Pet Accommodation, Dog Grooming


Goodle Dog

Pets, Animals, Hybrid Breeds