properties of ionic bond:
1) these are crystalline in nature.
2) these are hard and brittle.
3) they have high melting and boiling points.
4) they having strong binding energy.
5) soluble in water.
6) ionic solids are good insulators of electricity.
7) ionic crystals have close packed structures.
8) non-directional because of charge distribution is spherical in nature
Properties of covalent bond
1) covalent bonds are directional.
2) covalent bond crystal are hard and brittle.
3) Melting and boiling points are high but low compared to ionic crystals.
4) pure covalent solids are good insulators.
but tin is good conductor.
5) diamond have high melting point of 3280k.
6) they are not soluble in water,soluble in non polar solvents like benzene.
7) these bonds have saturation property.
ex: group 111,1V,V of periodic table often enter into covalent combinations.
3) organic compound CH4.
well it really depends on the mass of the chemical.ionic compounds?
ionic: valance electrons are transferred from one atom to the next (making them much stronger)
convalent: I think carbon make covalent bonds allowing them to make long chains.
convalent bonds is when valance electrons are shared not transferred making them weaker than ionic bonds
hope I helped(:What type of bond is present in copper wire?
Try the index in your text book or search the chapter.
But basically ionic bonds are where one atom has a positive charge, the other negative so opposites attract. Covalent means instead of all the electrons orbiting individual atoms, 1 or more electrons is shared between the atoms, which is stronger. This causes all of the above. Water is polar (+ on one side, - on the other) so it can pull ions apart and dissolve them.how can you tell if a compound is ionic or covalent? and WHY