Why is it that this specific day - 420 - is the day everybody does weed?

Recent Questions Politics & Law

Do they do weed on this day? I don't know of a single person doing weed.

All I no is that it has something to do w/ bob marley. I don't remember da rest

It's a bob marley thing, like singit4daworld said. But they do a lot of dr*gs on that day... I find it strange but owell :P

i believe it is national weed day or something like that. so it is a big deal for those that do do weed and such. :0 i could be wrong.

I've always wondered that, too. I heard that there were 420 chemicals in pot, but apparently that's not true. According to articles I read, a bunch of kids in California in the 70's coined the term when they decided to go find some unattended marijuana plants right after practice. Guess what time that was? 4:20. From then on it become the codeword for smoking.
Here's the article I found this from:
http://funadvice.com/r/3mh0t0a3ha

Annie is right! Happy 4.20 everyone!

It originally referred to the time of day, and not the date. It was supposedly the time of day that responsible smokers would wait till before smoking.

it started in Cali some high schoolers would say 4:20 meaning they would meet at the school and smoke. its dumb really.

I seriously doubt that. You just don't know they do it.

I never even heard of 420 until decades after I last smoked. For us the biggest day of the year to partake was thanksgiving. Oh man, a whole table full of delicious food and the munchies. Those were the days.

I don't think that the traditions in my culture is the same as American culture.

It isn't tradition, it is just reality. I just looked it up, The US is 11th and and South Africa is 21st in marijuana use. Even higher than Netherlands where it is legal. So I still think you probably do know people who smoke it, but you just don't know they do. And please, I mean no disrespect. I am merely trying to make the point that marijuana is extremely common in many countries, even where it is illegal, like the US and South Africa.

Who ever thought of this idea should be recognize as a historical figure.....lol