migration to the states

any tips on migrating to the USA? What is the best way to obtain a green card or any other super long-term visa to live in the USA? Thanks

Answer #1

This depends greatly on where you are from, what skills/education you have, and if you are related to anyone in the US. There are three ways to obtain a “green card” so you can legally live and work in the US: if you are a relative of a US citizen (takes 1-11 years), there is a lottery of people from regions that few people want to immigrate to the US, and there is a way for educated people (people with PhDs or researchers/scientists). This article is long, but tells you about the ways to arrive here and be able to work here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Permanent_Resident_Card

The above is to legally live and work in the US forever (with exceptions) which is what you want, but you can also get a visa that allows you to work IF YOU HAVE A BACHELOR’S DEGREE (4-years)…it is called the H-1 visa and is good for 3 years and can be extended to 6 years. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H-1B_visa

If you want to study in the US, you can get a student visa and can work for 20 hours a week AT THE SCHOOL. With a student visa, you can have an internship (work to get experience) for 29 months. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-1_visa

Answer #2

Well if you study there, I would imagine that you can at least get a company to sponsor you for work. They probably have a study + limited work kind of visa, or a working holiday visa. I’m just guessing here at this point, a travel agent might be a good person to approach with these kinds of questions..

Answer #3

oh my god. is it possible to get a faster route if you manage to get a place in an american college?

Answer #4

I recently saw the best illustration ever to help guide you through the legal migration system of the US, check this link out:


More Like This


Flight bookings, Hotel reservations, Car rentals

Ask an advisor one-on-one!

Global Migrations

Immigration Services, Visa Consultation, Legal Services


Sanguine Migration

Immigration Services, Consulting Services, Migration Agents


Rightstep Migration

Immigration Services, Visa Services, Consulting Services


Western Migration

Migration Services, Immigration Services, Visa Services


DM Consultant

Immigration Services, Consulting Services, Professional Services