Air Conditioning Maintenance for a Comfortable Home
There’s a difference between being a homeowner and a homeowner that knows how to properly take care of their home. HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning) systems help to regulate the home’s temperature, humidity and air quality. There are specific tasks that need to be done in order to maintain the system. Maintenance is all about keeping it efficient, as well as healthy and safe for your family.
For obvious reasons, the air conditioning portion of the unit is especially important during the summer months, but this doesn’t mean that it gets ignored the rest of the year. Regular maintenance is recommended throughout the year to ensure that the system runs smoothly no matter what function you need it for. Unexpected malfunctions can be a headache, as well as a hit to your wallet.
Consider these air conditioning maintenance tips to enjoy the rest of your summer, and the warm days of fall that sneak in there.
- Make Sure Your System’s Coils are Clean: dirty coils will force your system to work harder, causing it to fail quicker. This dirt buildup can be easily prevented, so don’t allow them to turn your home into an uncomfortable place.
- Replace the Air Filters: the lifespan of your filter determines how frequently it needs to be changed, but if you notice it’s dirty, change it. Dirty air filters will disrupt the clean airflow, which isn’t safe for those breathing the air in your home. You can also go by the rule of thumb and change your filter bimonthly. Changing your filter also prevents dirt buildup from decreasing the amount of airflow possible. For those hot summer days, you’ll want the maximum air.
- Try to Place the Air Conditioner in Shade: it’s the air conditioner’s job to cool down the air, and this is a little easier when the system itself isn’t baking in the sun. This way, your home will reach the desired temperature quicker, and the air conditioner won’t have to work too hard.
- Don’t Forget the Thermostat: a programmable thermostat can save you money and ensure your home is at a comfortable temperature when you return. Today’s HVAC technology is impressive, and it’s becoming more and more cost effective.
- Keep the Outdoor Unit Clean: while we’re spending more time outdoors, it’s important to keep the outdoor unit clean. If you’re doing an activity or playing a sport around the area, take precaution as well. To remove debris, you can lightly sweep it off with a broom and rinse with the hose.
If your air conditioner does run into issues due to the lack of maintenance, consider emergency AC repair, and then follow through with regular HVAC maintenance throughout the year to avoid it from occurring again.
While it’s easy to get caught up on the more noticeable parts of the home, such as the interior or the landscape, the HVAC system is a crucial for comfort and health. Make sure it’s maintained well enough to enjoy the other areas of your home.