When you're renting a place, what is the rent money supposed to be used for?

My brother-in-law pays rent for the place he stays at. But just recently the electricity to the kitchen and part of the bathroom got cut off and nothing works. So he tried to ask the owner to send a professional to have it fixed. But the owner said that the money isn’t supposed to come out of his pocket to fix it and that my brother-in-law is supposed to pay for someone to come fix it. Also, a while back there was a hole in the ceiling and he tried to get the owner to fix it and he wouldn’t do it. But when someone pays a person for rent, isn’t the rent money supposed to be for security purposes, like if something tears up or if an accident happens, such as a fire, tornado, flood, etc. And isn’t the owner supposed to used that money to fix whatever goes wrong in the house? Thanks!

Answer #1

When someone rents a place, they are not expected to cover the cost of repairs (unless he was the one who did the damage). This landlord is crooked - tell your brother in law to contact the Landlord and Tenant Bureau.

Answer #2

Firstly has he signed a tenancy agremeant? When u rent a place u get a tenancy agreement which means the landlord is liable, if they dont have a tenansy agreemeant that means the land lord is illegaly renting the property and if that person can prove they are paying rent to the landlord, they can report them to the enviromental health deartment of there local council where they will force him to make repaors as the property is notvfit to be habbitable.

Answer #3

That depends on the laws in the country you live in.

In my country the owner would have to pay to fix the installations in the house as well as the roof and walls. He could make the inhabitant do “beauty repairs” such as painting the walls, inner doors and window frames. And in the case you describe, the inhabitant could reduce the monthly payment by 10% or so until the problem is fixed. Because he rented a functioning habitation. If this is a renting.

Unless they have a tenancy contract, where it says that the inhabitant has to fix everything in the building. But that is usually a lot less expensive than a usual renting contract. I don’t know if your places legislation makes a difference between tenancy and renting.

Did he sign a contract when he moved in there? It should contain the details about who fixes what. If it just says “as in the law” or nothing about the subject then read the laws or ask a lawyer.

Answer #4

Oh ok, well we live in Georgia and I really don’t know the state laws on renting a residence, but I’m doing some research on it.

Answer #5

you really need to have a better go over of your tenancy agreement, such as what the landlord and what the tenant is responsible for.

there are two fundamental ‘insurance coverage’ subtitles.. ‘buildings insurance’ and ‘contents insurance’ also, if you are expected to pay ‘annual maintenance on a property, then that money is supposed to cover any building maintenance / repairs / improvements needed.

if the damage has been caused due to general wear and tear of the property, then really the landlord should be responsible for it. however, if the damage was caused, for example damage to items within the property because their washing machine leaked, then the repairs would fall on the tenants insurance (unless the property came with the washing machine)..

basically, tenancy is a very very delicate area..you are best advised going to your local legal advice office and taking your tenancy with you. in Britain we have ‘citizens advice bureau’ who offer legal advice, for smaller issues, i’m not sure if you have an equivalent where you are?

it’s a very very complex subject, and in all honesty i wouldn’t take any specific advice from anyone until they have read your tenancy agreement.

good luck x

Answer #6

State of Georgia Landlord Tenant Law http://funadvice.com/r/153d42at1b4

44-7-13. The landlord must keep the premises in repair. He shall be liable for all substantial improvements placed upon the premises by his consent.

44-7-14. Having fully parted with possession and the right of possession, the landlord is not responsible to third persons for damages resulting from the negligence or illegal use of the premises by the tenant; provided, however, the landlord is responsible for damages arising from defective construction or for damages arising from the failure to keep the premises in repair.

Answer #7

You are very intelligent.

More Like This
Ask an advisor one-on-one!

Don't Worry Make Money

Personal Finance, Entrepreneurship, Frugality


Make Money Hubz

Finance, Online Business, Entrepreneurship


Get Money

kredyty, pożyczki, bankowość


ACE Money Transfer

Finance, Remittance, Money Transfer


How to Lend Money to Strangers

banking, credit risk management, finance