Does the odyssey date back further than the bible?

Hmmm...did I spell that right?? Hmm I was wondering...does the Odessy date back further then the Bible? Like is it older?
(im too lazy to google it...haha)

Recent Questions Religion, Spirituality & Folklore

yes, it was written around 700 bc.

Yeah I think so...it was like the first documented bok or something...I'm not totally sure though but I read it.

"Damn" in the Bible?

Parts of the Torah, specifically the oldest versions of Genesis, Exodus, and some of Numbers, were put into writing around 950 BC.

The Bible that most Christians are familiar with was finalized at a couple of church councils in the 4th century AD.

The Odyssey of Homer was written around 700 BC

in the bible, does it really say to smoke "the holy herb" (weed)?

I think so...

The Number 60 in the Bible

I'm getting dates of around 750BC for Genesis from sites I've 'Googled'. I think the key thing is that many of the historical books of the Jewish Scriptures were passed down through a strong oral tradition for centuries before they were written down as we seen them now. That seems strange in our literate culture, but if you look at pre-literate cultures they are able to memorize huge amounts of information though their traditional story-tellers. That's something we can't do any more, now that we read and write instead.

Is it possible to kill the Devil?

So the Torah out dates Homer by 250 years So the Torahis older. . . . .

"From Dust you were made, Dust you will return"?

Homer wrote 'The Iliad' before 'The Odyssey'

Obama talks chip in hand

Actually the first of the 5 books of the bible known as the Torah was first written about 1510 - 1420 B.C.

Our bodies are made of dirt

Homer wasn't alive in 700BCE he was around 800BCE and he never wrote anything. The real answer is that no one knows how old the Iliad and oddesy are as Homer was a blind bard so the Iliad and oddesy were stories spoken to people. Some even suggest that Homer didn't write them but was just the next guy in a long line of storytellers who documented history/politics/understanding of physical world via the oral tradition. And people knew if you wanted people to listen to these large bits of info and buy in to your message a fantastic story garners more "buy in" than facts. Even to this day you can't change someone's belief in anything by presenting facts. Hence why the bible incl the first 5 books (Torah) is effective as a tool to gain buy in to a set of guidelines for life as the Torah mainly deals with.

Homer wasn't alive in 700BCE he was around 800BCE and he never wrote anything he was blind.

The Pentateuch was not written before Iliad or oddesy.

The Old Testament consists of many distinct books by various authors produced over a period of centuries. In the most accepted hypothesis, the canon formed in stages, first the Pentateuch by around 400 BC, then the Prophets during the Hasmonean dynasty (140-116 BC), and finally the remaining books.

The real answer is that no one knows how old the Iliad and oddesy are as Homer was a blind bard; so the Iliad and oddesy were stories spoken to people. Some even suggest that Homer didn't write them but was just the next guy in a long line of storytellers who documented history/politics/understanding of physical world/spirituality via the oral tradition. And people knew if you wanted people to listen to these large bits of info and buy in to your message a fantastic story garners more "buy in" than facts. Even to this day you can't change someone's belief in anything by presenting facts. Hence why the bible incl the first 5 books (Torah) is effective as a tool to gain buy in to a set of guidelines for life as the Torah mainly deals with. Which lets face it isn't as fun as it would be to just do whatever you want, but these stories of oppression, adversity, salvation, compassion etc made people care about the protagonists much like you want to know what Calisy is going to do when she sees her dragon is now a white walker.