Its history is closely associated with the development of the Cistercian monastery in Zdar and dates back to the second half of the 13th century. Cardinal Frantisek of Ditrichstejn promoted the small village of Zdar to a town in 1607. The former monastery developed the present form during large reconstructions in the time of Abbot Vaclav Vejmluva in the first half of the 18th century. The reconstructions were designed by architect '''Jan Blazej Santini-Aichel'''. There was a steep rise in population, associated with construction of the '''ZDAS''' machinery works in the 1950s. The design of the town and of the whole landscape has changed a lot. A modern, administration and commercial centre and new neighbourhoods were built.