The Tegernsee valley has been settled since the stone age. Records from the Benedictine monastery date from 746, which was one of the most important cultural centres in the region during the middle ages. In its heyday the monastery had 200 monks and over a thousand residents involved in numerous industries. Under Abbot Bernhard Wenzl (1673-1700), the monastery was remodeled in the contemporary baroque style and only the abbey church has been preserved in its original form. In 1815 the buildings of the castle and monastery were converted into the King Wittelsbach's summer residence. This was followed by many other nobles and artists the region and the beginnings of Tegernsee's tourism industry was born. In 1820, the landscaper Friedrich Ludwig von Sckell designed the gardens around the castle, which are mostly still preserved today. From the former monastery, the brewery ''Herzoglich Bayerische Brauhaus Tegernsee'' was founded. The monastery's church now serves as a parish church.