Frauenchiemsee Monastery was founded by Duke Tassilo, and the monastery church was consecrated in 782 by Bishop Virgil of Salzburg. In 788 the monastery came into the possession of Charles the Great, and passed from him to his grandson Ludwig the German. The foundations of the church, and possibly also parts of the walls, probably originate from the Carolingian era. The present church was already in existence in the 11th century. In the 12th and 13th centuries it was extended and rebuilt. The appearance of the interior was significantly altered by the addition of a ribbed vault in 1468-1476, and the baroque altars were added in 1688-1702. The bell tower, sitated in front of the northwest side of the church, became the symbol of the Chiemgau. The two lower floors of this eight-sided tower probably date from the 12th century, while the upper one was added in 1395. The tower acquired its characteristic onion dome in 1626. It was not part of the original monastery complex, but was built on the foundations of what was probably a Carolingian building. Fraueninsel Cemetery has a cenotaph of Alfred Jodl, Chief of the Operations Staff of the Armed Forces High Command (Oberkommando der Wehrmacht, or OKW) during World War II, despite the fact that he has been executed as a war criminal and his body had been cremated and ashes scattered into a small river in the Munich area.
The castle of King Ludwig II at Herrenchiemsee modelled after Versailles and Museum of the King Ludwig II. Old Augustinean Monastery has permanent exhibition of the former monastery and of the constitutional assembly for the establishing of the "Grundgesetz" (German constitution) in 1948, private rooms of King Ludwig II and an art gallery with paintings by the Munich painter Julius Exter. King Ludwig II of Bavaria acquired the Herreninsel as the location for his Royal Palace of Herrenchiemsee (New Palace) in 1873. This palace was built as a "Temple of Fame" for King Louis XIV of France, whom the Bavarian monarch fervently admired. The actual building of this "Bavarian Versailles", which was begun in 1878 from plans by Georg Dollmann. When Ludwig II died in 1886 the palace was still incomplete, and sections of it were later demolished. In 1876 Court Garden Director Carl von Effner completed the plans for a large garden resembling that of Versailles. When the king died, only the sections along the main axis with their famous fountains and waterworks had been completed.
The engine was built in 1887 by Krauss & Comp. as a so-called tramway or box locomotive and was given the number: 1813. Due to its relatively low running costs and need for only one footplateman, the engine is ideal for use on narrow gauge lines. The engine in original condition from 1887. The electric headlights were installed in 1965 and are powered by a steam turbine located on the driver’s side next to the smokebox. The original braking system consisted of lever handbrakes, which were replaced by an air brake system in 1961.
Operates fleet of 10 lake boats, oldest of which had been built in 1926 as a paddle-wheel saloon steamer (currently operates under Diesel power). In winter, the boats leave Prien/ Stock every hour, in summer, every 20 minutes.