Prato is a city of 186,710 inhabitants in Tuscany, immediately to the west of Florence, and also the capital of the Province of Prato since 1992. The city is famous in Italy and beyond for textile production and for the famous biscotto di Prato (biscuit with almonds better known as "cantuccio").
At the large Piazza del Duomo is the Cathedral of Santo Stefano. A splendid example of Romanesque - Gothic Tuscan, the Cathedral is characterized by clever use of two colors on alberese clear and serpentine green marble from Prato, typical materials of town until 1400. On the right side of the front is the famous pulpit, built between 1433 and 1438 by Michelozzo and decorated by Donatello, the pulipito was designed specifically for the Exposition of the Holy Girdle of the Virgin Mary, preserved in the chapel inside the Basilica. Splendidi and precious are the frescoes by Filippo Lippi in the Cappella Maggiore, the famous dance of Salome.
Created at the end of the thirteenth century, the intersection of two main roads of the city. In the central area of the square is the Fountain of Bacchino, which was cast in bronze between 1659 and 1665 by Ferdinando Tacca, during the recognition status of city of Prato. In front of City Hall (located in the square) is also found in white Carrara marble statue dedicated to the merchant of Prato, Francesco Datini Antonio Garella (1896).
It was created as the seat of the priors, linking different buildings. Currently it houses the Town Hall. In the hall of the Municipal Council are held two frescoes of the fourteenth century, representing an Allegory of Justice and Majesty. Inside the building are kept several portraits of the Podestà of Prato and the Granduchi of Tuscany.
It was the home of the famous merchant Francesco di Marco Datini (Prato 1335-1410). He leaves an important witness to himself, made up of records and correspondence, which constitute a substantial fund today filed with the State Archives of Prato, which is housed in the old house.
The old Town Hall Lawn, located in the town square opposite of the current Town Hall. Since 1912 it houses the Museo Civico. After major restoration works the palace and museum opened again in 2013 to the public.
Within these gathered almost all the major historic buildings. The hexagonal circuit of the walls enclosing the original core city of Prato, dotted with ancient tower houses.
Fortress, also known as Santa Barbara or Swabian castle, can be considered the most important architectural evidence of centuries XI-XIII.
This is one of many contemporary works of art that the city hosts. The square-shaped cut of the famous contemporary sculptor Henry Moore.
Adjacent to the cathedral is the Bishop's Palace (XIV-XVII century), part of which is occupied by the Museo dell'Opera del Duomo.
This museum is adjacent to the cathedral and occupies parts of the '''Bishop's Palace''' (XIV-XVII century).
Musical evenings, perfect to end a night after a show (located opposite the Teatro Metastasio).
Free admission for members ACSI. Concerts start at 23.00. Closed: Monday and Tuesday.
Venue for operas, theatre plays and concerts. Built in 1830.
Museum of Deportation and centre of documentation.
Has made delicious biscotti di Prato since 1858.
Di ADORNI ERALDO & C. s.n.c.
Di Quattrocchi Domenico.
Prato is the low-profile cousin of Florence and Pisa in the Central Italy region of Tuscany. Not as mobbed with tourists and without the typical tourist ripoffs it nonetheless has a history and artistic heritage dating back to the Etruscan civilisation and everything since, plus great food. It's a great place to stay and save a few euros while doing day trips to Pisa or Florence. As regards the area, Prato is a city that is part of the north-east and covers about 100 km². Located at the foot of the mountain of Retaia, it is bisected by the Bisenzio River, a tributary of the Arno. *