During the morning, the tour visits a winery to learn about wine making process and Chianti production rules. At the end of the visit, clients will enjoy such great Tuscan wines as Chianti Classico, Chianti Classico Riserva, Supertuscan, and grappa, as well as a selection of fantastic local olive oils. Afterwards, they'll move to the winery restaurant for lunch. Professional tours are led by expert and licensed drivers speaking English.
A journey discovering the wineries of the Chianti, which introduces the visitor to both the area's age old wine producing traditions and the latest, most innovative vineyard technology. Behind each and every twist in the road we are greeted by landscapes dotted with small chapels, castles, and medieval villages all of which more than worthy of visit. A professional service offered by licensed drivers speaking English.
Producing wines and olive oil since 1927. Local store open during office hours. Visits and degustations by appointment outside office hours.
Small museum dedicated to medieval weaponry. The ticket can be used on both the walkway and the museum, providing good value.
For a small fee, the town allows tourists to walk around the town's perimeter and gaze at the Tuscan countryside.
The town's church. It has a simple facade, but is a strong part of the town's beautiful masonry.
On a small natural hillock, this completely walled medieval town in the Siena Province of Tuscany was built in the 13th century by the overlords of Siena to command the Cassia Road running through the Val d'Elsa and Val Staggia just to the west of Monteriggioni. Today, the town of Monteriggioni is the principal center in the modern Comune of Monteriggioni which encompasses 19.49 square kilometers in the area around the town. Distances from other major towns and cities are: Siena 15 km; Volterra - 39 km; Florence 50 km; Pisa 157 km; Lucca - 123 km; Arezzo - 121 km; Rome - 250 km
Except for some work done in the 16th century, very little work has been done to Monteriggioni's walls or buildings since they were first erected. Monteriggioni's walls and the buildings that make up the town are the best preserved example of their kind in all of Italy, so it is not surprising that it attracts buses full of tourists, but also architects, historians and archaeologists.
The more or less circular walls with a total length of about 570 metres were built between 1213 and 1219, following the natural contours of the hill. There are fourteen towers on square bases set at equi-distance, and two portals or gates. One gate, the Porta Fiorentina, opens toward Florence to the north, and the other, the Porta Romana, faces Rome to the south. The main street within the walls connects the two gates in a more or less straight line.
The main piazza, the Piazza Roma, is dominated by a Romanesque church with a simple, plain facade. Other houses, some in the Renaissance-style, once owned by local nobles, gentry and wealthy merchants facing into the piazza. Off the main piazza smaller streets give way to public gardens fronted by the other houses and small businesses of the town. In more hostile times, these gardens provided vital sustenance when enemies gathered without.