Luhansk

Luhansk or Lugansk (Ukrainian: Луганськ) is a city in Eastern Ukraine.

91 things to do

All Places Ukraine



The Luhansk Cathedral Mosque

Tatars among other nations are native population of multinational region of Central Eurasia, especially its steppes – modern territories of Russian Federation, Ukraine, Kazakhstan. During the second half of 19th century Volga Tatars from central Russia, as citizens of Russian empire, in great number moved to the Donbas area of southern Ukraine to work at mines and factories. The number of Volga Tatars at the Luhansk region grew up to about 400,000. Tatars had their own mosques and schools. In 1990's to revival of religious, cultural and social life of different communities (among them Tatar communities of Ukraine) and society in whole. It became possible to build and open new mosques and other religious and cultural establishments and buildings. Luhansk Cathedral mosque was built by the Muslim community (mostly Tatars) of the Luhansk region. It was officially opened on 29 May 2010.The mosque building is a two-storied construction with an area of 550 square meters. In a basement floor there is a sports hall and a kitchen. On the ground floor there is a library, classroom, and office.- Capacity 500. - Minaret: 1. - Minaret height: 25 meters.


Luhansk railroad station

was electrified only recently, though only in the western direction. The notorious 4 hrs diesel train to Donetsk was finally replaced by elektrichka. - April 2013 train [http://lugansktrams.org.ua/train/ '''services'''] include trains from Kiev (3 a day, notably without train, passing Dnipro and Smela), Simferopol, Odessa, Kharkiv; express from Donetsk; direct cars from Kremenchuk, Lviv, Truskavets. The only service to Russia now is the daily train to Moscow (runs for about 24 hours, due to rather slow old rails within Luhansk region between Luhansk and Valuiki). It is unclear if there will be summer trains from Crimea to Ekaterinburg. - When taking Luhansk trains, especially in cold seasons, keep in mind, that local regulations, due to Luhansk being coal region, require somewhat ridiculously high temperature inside cars. Prepare to sweat rather profusely, combining also with the fact, that many trains reach Luhansk not in the morning, but rather around midday, so that sunlight will add to the temperature.

OTHER   —  Map


Luhansk district mining office Building

In the 1880's, along with the Lugansk foundry began to appear first houses and streets. Near the plant entrance began building English Street one-story building in which lived British experts, senior officials of Lugansk foundry plant. In the early nineteenth century this street was the first two-storey building. Originally it was L-shaped, later two-story rectangular with a central part and one-story side. The central part emphasized square tapered portico with balcony. In the 1880's - 1900's, the building housed leadership the mining of Lugansk district . Today it houses the spa of the town.

SEE   —  Dalya str.7

Park Museum Polovtsian stone sculptures

Here are more than 80 sculptures Polovtsian stone sculptures - one of the largest collections in Ukraine, stone statues of 11-12th centuries. These sculptures called "stone broads" because most of them resemble human figures, mostly men or women. The stone woman - sculptures,- in height 1-4m,- were placed on the mounds of ancient peoples: the Scythians, Polovtsy etc. These are the only monumental art of long-extinct nomadic people who lived here in what is now Lugansk region.

SEE   —  Oborornnaya str.


Holodilin M.P Monument

Nick Peter Kholodilin - first city head of Lugansk. To his name critical years are related in history of Lugansk, time of his becoming as the largest industrial and cultural center of Donbassa. Special attention city head spared development of health protection and equipping with modern amenities of Lugansk. In compositions has an Elegant oval frame with decorative leaves, the elbow-rest of arm-chair with a lion's head is strengthened the impression of nobleness and dignity.

SEE   —  Pushkina str.

Monument to K.E.Voroshilov

A trademark Lugansk monument, put in a beautiful location with grand sight to the northern part of the city. Monument was opened at the 100th anniversary of birth of this legendary military leader, publicman of soviet time. The monument is of 12m height (together with the horse). Voroshilov worked in a local factory, leaded revolutionary movement of Lugansk workers, managed Lugansk committee of Russian social democratic working party.

SEE   —  Kotsiubinskogo str.


Hostra Mohyla

A Tombhill - on the outskirts of the height of Lugansk, which heroically defended against the prevailing forces of Denikin much of the Red Army troops and city workers during the period from April 21 to May 25, 1919. - obelisk is made of concrete, height 8.5 m statue of the Soviet Army soldiers who died in 1943 fighting for the liberation of Lugansk Nazis, a monument to Soviet soldiers-tankers - is mounted on a pedestal T-34 tank.

SEE   —  Rovenkovskaya str

Former Hotel Oktiabr'. Now renamed as "Ukraine"

The most beautiful hotel was in Lugansk - "October." There were 173 rooms in the center Voroshilovgrad (now - Lugansk) building was originally called "Moscow". The brick facade made smartly and festive mood, its ornament created by all the rules tectonic organization. Vertical triangular pilasters of white silicate brick as lace, in contrast to the red wall generate rhythm, giving the facade of plasticity and severity.



V.Titov Museum

Vladislav Titov - symbolic figure for Lugansk. In Ukraine, the Donbas area,spent most of his life. He had 10 operations, the last without the morphine, not to make his drug-addicted, amputation of both hands, learning to live like everyone else, the beginning of classes in literary work, publishing made him famous novel "All the deaths in spite", writing a further 13 works, literary fame...

SEE   —  Kvartal Gaevogo, 18

Roman Catholic Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Founded in Lugansk Parish Nativity of the Virgin Mary, a group of Catholics began to look for a priest. Find it in the Soviet Union was not possible because only graduates in the entire Union Theological Seminary in Riga was not enough. The Bishop of Zhytomyr advised to look for in Poland ... the parish priest of Rapa DZHEGOZH served the first service in Lugansk in 1995 for Christmas.


Mother of God with a baby

Established on 3 December 2000. For the first time brought from Italian marble, in Kiev, within four months under the guidance of the author's image of the Virgin with the Christ child is pulled from a stone, lost as a result of two-thirds the weight. Framing the composition arch height 11.5 meters decorated with granite and mosaic images of the Holy Trinity and the Twelve Apostles.

SEE   —  Liniya 15 str.

Boyan- Author Slova o Polku Igorevi, Monument Lay

"Lay" - an unsurpassed masterpiece of ancient Russian literature. The poem is dedicated to hike Igor of Novgorod-Seversky's Prince and his men to Polovtsy in 1185. The author of "Words" is unknown. The establishment of the monument to the legendary writer-patriot in Lugansk natural: many scholars argue that the Battle of Prince Igor with Polovtsy held in the Lugansk region.

SEE   —  Sovetskaya str

Luhansk International Airport

({{IATA|VSG}})is served by a single daily flights from Moscow and Kiev by Utair, and possibly 1-2 other European or Mediterranean destinations on days (as of April 2013, they were Thessaloniki each 10 days and Antalya on Wednesday and Sunday). The timetable is subject to change up to completely stopping the service, especially non-daily services, so check in advance.

OTHER   —  Map

Local history museum

One of the eldest museums of Donbassa is located in constructivism building 1976 building. 7 displays are devoted history of Luganschiny from the most ancient times to our days. An exhibition operates "Inhabitantsofbrinydepths". Two captured English tanks of Mark of V "Rikardo" (MK-5) of times of First world war, age-old cannon, are alongside set.


Regional Art museum

Located in one of the oldest streets in the former home of famous industrialists Venderovich built in 1876. The museum contains over eight thousand items of domestic and foreign art 16-20th centuries. among them, about fifteen hundred paintings, sculptures three hundred, four and a half thousand of decorative and applied arts.


To the habitants of Luhanschyna, to falling from the hands of punish-nationalists from OUN-UPA

The monument to "victims of the nationalists' is a composition of three figures - women, children and men. Made from concrete monument, covered with brass plating. Installed at the base of a marble slab with the inscription: "Residents of Luhansk, perished at the hands of punitive-nationalists from the UPA."

SEE   —  Geroev VOV sq.

Monument of Dal' Vladimir

Vladimir Ivanovich Dal - a famous Russian writer, lexicography and ethnographer, author of''intelligent dictionary Russians living tongue.'' Monument Dalia established in honor of 180th anniversary of his birth. The writer is depicted as being seated in a chair. The total height of the monument - 3.4m.

SEE   —  Dalya str.

Palace of Culture of railworkers

Was built as Mining Commercial club in 1912. It contained a library, a billiard room, lounge rooms and a buffet. It quickly became a cultural center of the city. After it was rebuilt after World War II, it hosted drama theater, and later was made the regional Palace of Culture of railwaymorkers.


Museum of history and culture of city of Luhansk

In a former city government, created in 1980 as a museum Voroshilov, after whom the city in Soviet times was called Voroshilovgrad. The main exhibition is dedicated to the development of the city in the XIX century. At the entrance - an exhibition of ancient cannons, cast in Lugansk foundry.


Sviato-Petropavlivs'kyi cathedral

Is one of the oldest temples in Lugansk diocese preserved during mass destruction. In 1905 the church was rebuilt, this time made of stone, with a bell tower, which was seven bells. By the 30th year of this century in the church there were 89 icons, 50 of them were three-tier iconostasis.

SEE   —  Kooperativnyi 2 ln.

Cenotaph Cranes (Zhuravli)

To celebrate the 55th anniversary of Victory Day, a ceremonial reburial of the ashes of the Unknown Soldier, who died in the battles of Lugansk. This soldier of the war is immortalized in bronze statue: a mortally wounded soldier as if transformed into a soaring into the blue sky cranes.


Central bus station

Located in a big soviet-era built building, with a futuristic interior. Serves all Luhansk region, Donetsk, Dnipro, Kiev, Rostov-na-Dony (5 buses daily, 7 hours), Voronezh (daily, 11 hours), Volgograd, Moscow and a number of other destinations in Ukraine and Rostov region.


House-museum of Vladimir Dal'

A small single-storey five-room building was here since 1820's. In 1986, opened a literary house museum of Vladimir Ivanovich Dal. The exhibition in the house where he was born and lived for a long time, the greatest writer. The museum has three exhibition halls.


Monument to the medical workers, to lost in the years of Great Patriotic war

The monument is a stele, on its obverse the emblem of medicine. At the base of the stele is set black granite cube. On the left side of the court, on the memorial, the text: Medical staff of the regional hospital, who fell in the Great Patriotic War. 1941-1945.

SEE   —  Sovetskaya str.

Saint Ascension Cathedral

Constructed in 1840. For almost the entire duration of the Soviet era, this was the only working church in the Lugansk Region. It didn't suffer much during the Great Patriotic War (World War II), and in 1955, it was declared an architectural monument.


Masterovoi (to the 200year of Luhansk)

The prototype of a gun, what made Fyodor Gavrilov from Petrozavodsk, the hero who served as founder and master gun cases. He was one of the 400 workers what were transported to the Alexander factory in St. Petersburg under the decree of Catherine II.

SEE   —  Kotsiubinskogo str.

Ukrainian Academic Music and Drama Theater

In 1944 creative composition of Ukrainian legitimate drama was directed in Lugansk and in decision of the All-union committee of arts renamed in the Lugansk Ukrainian musical-dramatic theater. In 2002 the rank of academic was appropriated a theater.


Monument Capsule with Message the members of the komsomol

This famous capsule has to be open on the day of the 100th anniversary of the Komsomol and the message contained in it, "the Komsomol and Youth" sent out in October 1968 Luhansk regional committee to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Komsomol.

SEE   —  Kotel'nikova str.

Bus station #3

Doesn't have a building, but has a ticket office. Serves local buses to the north-east of the region, both originating from this station and central station. Some buses go to Rostov region to Chertkovo, Millerovo or further beyond Millerovo.


Regional Voluntary Fire-brigade museum

The main purpose of the fire-technical exhibition - fire safety propagation, so they quite often give tours to schoolchildren and students. The museum has many interesting exhibits that model development of different emergency situations.


Bus station #2

Located in one of the historical buildings of the former railway station. Mostly serves north and northwest of Lugansk region, some buses go to destinations in all of the Lugansk region and adjacent towns in Donetsk and Rostov region.


Monument to H. Zveinek

Bust on a rectangular pedestal. Made from stained concrete & copper. H. Zveynek was - political commissar of the revolutionary 15 Inzenskoy Division member KPRS. was the founder the Latvian newspaper 'Moloda borotba'

SEE   —  Zveineka str.

Sviato-Oleksandro-Nevs'kyi Hram (St. Alexander Nevsky church)

Strict simplicity and grandeur. The blue color of the walls gives the building the effect of lightness & aspiration to the sky. The temple area is 306 sq meters decorated with six domes and bell tower ​​.


The Miner Monument

On the left side of the rectangular pedestal sculpture installed Miner. On the right side shows the natural stone, pedestal block, symbolizing the carbon pedestal sculpture - made of reinforced concrete.

SEE   —  Oboronnaya str., 107

Dzerzhinskiy Monument

Bust on a rectangular pedestal. Dzerzhinskiy is represented in a tunic, without a head-dress. - Dzerzhinskiy Fieliks Edmundovich was a soviet statesman, revolutionary, one of organizers of «red terror».

SEE   —  Alekseeva block

Manor house

The building is 2 storey, manor from late 18- beg.19th century. First and second memorial plaques - marble, 3rd is - metal. The headquarters was located 5th Ukrainian Army, organized by Voroshilov.

SEE   —  Dalya str., 5

Memorial plaque in a court which was a command post of the Lugansk working regiment

Installed in 1969. In 1919 in Firsov mound was the command post of Luhansk working Regiment. The regiment was formed from the factories workers whose enjoyed for the Defense of Luhansk.

SEE   —  Matrosova str., 5

Tatiana Snezhina Monument

A monument to poet Tatyana Snezhina. She in his short life managed to write so many wonderful poems. She was infinitely talented, the songs on her works sung many famous entertainers.

SEE   —  Kotel'nikova str.

Monument to Pirohov

A concrete bust Pirogov mounted on a pedestal platform - black granite. Bust height - 1.1 m. MI Pirogov was a doctor and scientist, founder of the Red Cross Society, in Luhansk region


Monument by a fireman

The facade of the building the fire station number 1 was a monument that portrays firefighter that saves girl from fire and symbolizes the courage of all firefighters Lugansk region.

SEE   —  Alekseeva block, 10

Lenin Monument

The bronze figure of a growth on a rectangular black labradoritepedestal. The text on the pedestal: "V. Ulyanov (Lenin)". The figure - 5 m, the pedestal - 4,9 m.

SEE   —  Geroev VOV sq.,

Saint-Vladimir Cathedral

Largest cathedral of South-East Ukraine, built in 1995-2006 years. By far the most impressive religious building in Lugansk among built in post-perestroika era.

SEE   —  Gorky square

Warriors-internationalists who Lost in Afghanistan

In Afghanistan quite a bit Lugansk - 7 129 persons militated also. In a granite are the names of 162 natives of the Lugansk area, which perished in Afghanistan.

SEE   —  Map

Defender of Cities from Denikin's Bands in 1919

The memorial complex - on a hill, where tzarist forces confronted the workers and soldiers of the Lugansk plant 'Inzensky' 15th Division, in April 1919.


Memorial of Warrior-aviator

Pedestal - a metal. Dimensions pedestal - 5.0 x 2.5 m. The monument was erected in honor of soldiers, airmen who died during the Great Patrioticwar.

SEE   —  Liniya 7 str.

Church of the Holy Martyrs Guria, Samon and Aviv

The first worship service was held at April, 1998. Guri, Samon and Aviv - these saints venerated as the defenders of marriage and its patrons.


Monument of Shevchenko T.G.

On a marble pedestal is 5.5-meter sculpture of Taras Shevchenko. The monument still stands on the "temporary" marble pedestal

SEE   —  Geroev VOV sq.

Memorial plaque to V.Pyaterkin, V.Tret'yakevich, U. Aleksencev at school where they studied

A granite plaque to U. Alexsensev, V. Pyaterkyn, V. Tretyakevych, killed while fighting the occupation in 1942-1943.


Monument to the 60th anniversary of liberation of Ukraine

Monument gun ZIS-3- was erected in honor of the 60th anniversary of Ukraine's liberation from Nazi invaders

SEE   —  Map

Monument to Hastello N.F.

A monument is a bust of famous pilot, graduating student of Voroshilovgrad aviation school of navigators.

SEE   —  Map

Synagogue

Temporary premises synagogue. Permanent building is constructed at st. 50th anniversary of the USSR.


Monument to A.S. Pushkin

A concrete bust on a granite, rectangular pedestal on the central alley of the park.

SEE   —  Park 1 May

Lost Frontier Guard

A monument to the border guards who were killed while performing military duty.

SEE   —  Alekseeva block

Monument to teachers and students, aka "Soldier"

Monument to teachers and students, who died at the front during World War II

SEE   —  Zhukova block

Museum-apartment of painter O. Fil'berta

A museum is devoted the known Lugansk artist, master of landscape.


Obelisk to the heroes of Soviet Union in Great Patriotic War

An obelisk is set with the names of 173 Heroes of Soviet Union.

SEE   —  Geroev VOV sq

Memorable cross to the cossacks, to givings life for a homeland

A memorable cross was set Society of the Don cossacks Lugansk.

SEE   —  Pushkina str

McDonald's

Fast Food, Wi-Fi


Turist Hotel

120 beds.


About Luhansk

In 1790, Scottish engineer Charles Gascoigne explored the coal and mineral resources in the "region of SlavyanoSerbia" (the name itself originates from local Serb settlements). By 1795 it was found that natural resources were plentiful, and Russian Empress Ekaterina the Second ordered the creation of a metal factory on the Luhan' river near existing village of Kamyanyi Brid. This started the development of a new major industrial region of Tsarist Russia, and eventually Soviet Ukraine, which steadily thrived consistently up until the decay of Soviet Union in 1991. After the fall of the USSR, the regional coal mining and other industries slowly became unprofitable. Having over 100 industrial plants, Luhansk faced several years, of slowed or stopped production (with a notable exception of alcohol making plant). After this financial crisis, the large metal factory, that had given birth to the town and became over the time a rather famous Ukrainian military and machine tool plant, named after V.I.Lenin, was finally closed in 2008. However, the single largest locomotive plant named after October Revolution (commonly named "Zavod OR") still struggles through crisis. Overall, Luhansk has now transformed into a rather remote provincial town with decaying signs of previous glory. The town is divided into 4 districts by natural borders. The main railroad in west-east direction (from Debalceve and Donbas proper to Stanytsia Luhanska) divides the '''KamyanoBridskyi district''' from the rest of the town, western (to the west of Olhivka river, with Yuvileynyi satellite) and eastern (east of Ivanishchev yar) sleeper districts form '''Artemivskyi''' and '''Zhovtnevyi''' (meaning October) districts. Zhovtnevyi district includes a couple of villages on the north-east of town, generally known as Vergunka, all the way to a former recreation area along Pivdennyi Donets river, which was closed for ecological reason; and a satellite Shchastya town near the coal heating plant, making it the municipal district with largest area within Ukraine. The central, '''Leninskyi district''', together with parts of KamyanoBridskyi district contains most of the main places of interest. Close to the railroad on both sides are several buildings and streets which survived the destruction of World War II or were reconstructed, and now form a compact so called "old center," along streets of Dahl, Lenina, Karl Marx and Karl Libknecht. The new center was completely rebuilt or built anew on a rather high hill in the center between Luhan' and Olhivka rivers and Ivanischev yar. Due to amount of communist oligarchy that lived there and amount of not drive-through yards it was dubbed "Dvoryanske hnizdo" (a nest of nobles). South of Leninskyi district is a remote district of Hostra Mohyla, containing a memorial to heroes of wars of 20th century, several medical facilities and institute and an air navigators academy. The town is also known to be renamed 4 times, although it has only two names: the name was changed from Luhansk to Voroshilovgrad, than back to Luhansk, than once more forth and back. Situated on some high hills, Luhansk may not be the best of tourist attraction, but it does provide a specific nice atmosphere if only a bit ruined by recent degradation, and a large number of scenic city landscape views from different points almost in any part of town. A note on naming: while Luhansk is an official English transliteration of the city name, the direct (sometimes called 'Russian-based') transliteration as Lugansk is certainly much more popular.


Source: wikivoyage