The name Hagley refers to the area of the original village, near Hagley Hall. The majority of what is today known as Hagley is strictly West Hagley. This area grew up in the late 19th century near the railway station and contains the shopping area and schools. The precise dividing line between the two areas is undefined and is therefore debatable. Nevertheless, both settlements lie within the parish of Hagley. Hagley is essentially a dormitory village. The population of Hagley greatly increased after the arrival of the railway in 1862, which enabled people to commute into Birmingham or the adjacent Black Country.