The Diocesan Museum is located in the original Church and Oratory of Gesù. The Church was built by the Lay Company of Buon Gesù between 1498 and 1505 and was made up of an oratory on the lower floor and a church on the upper floor. The church had a single nave with three altars with three masterpieces by ''Luca Signorelli''. Among the most important exhibits are: an Annunciation by ''Fra Angelico'', Lamentation over the dead Christ by ''Luca Signorelli'', a Shaped Cross by ''Pietro Lorenzetti'' and the Passerini Tapestry, vestments made between the beginning of the 16th century and 1515, commissioned by ''Cardinal Silvio Passerini'' to be worn by ''Pope Leo X de’ Medici'' during his visit in Cortona.
The accommodations were converted from the old mill that dates from the 15th century. It consists of four separate holiday apartments, each totally independent, yet sharing a common entrance with an old stone staircase. All apartments are equipped with satellite TV, a refrigerator, independent heating, and Wi-Fi. Horseback riding activities and hiking in the nearby woods are arranged daily. Guests, including children, will be able to take horseback riding lessons with professional BHS instructors. You will also be able to assist in the daily tasks of the stables and in the training of horses. Cortona is only a 5-minute drive away and may also be reached on foot walking ancient paths.
Poggio Sant’Angelo, near the Abbey of Farneta, one of Tuscany’s most charming abbeys. The building is laid out over two floors: the ground floor housing the reception area and the restaurant and the first floor featuring six bedrooms, one suites, two double bedrooms and a large reading room with open fireplace and comfortable sofas. An annex, located just outside the villa houses a wine-bar; a large pool enjoying a wonderfully sunny position, is in the adjoining park surrounded by century-old trees.
Casamontana is composed of two houses, Il Fungo and La Castagna. They are both in a panoramic position in the hills 800m above sea level, but close to Cortona. The houses are surrounded by woods overlooking the Valdichiana with views of Lake Trasimeno. The houses are built of stone with terracotta floors. The two houses have central heating, air conditioning, satellite TV, a laundry, barbecue, garden, and ample parking space. Small and medium sized dogs are permitted in the properties.
The original palace was built in the 14th century. It was the seat of the Casali family, lords of Cortona until 1409. only a few walls of the original building remained. The Renaissance front from the beginning of the 17th cent is the work of ''Filippi Berretini''. Today the palace is the seat of the city library, the historical archive, the Etruscan Museum and the Etruscan Academy. The courtyard of the Casali Palace is the best photo stop in Cortona.
The Renaissance building was erected on order of ''Cardinal Silvio Passerini'' (1469-1529), who was commissioner of the Pope for Umbria and envoy to Perugia. It was designed by ''Giovan Battista'' from Perugia. It is reported that the painter ''Luca Signorelli'' fell from the scaffolding while painting the frescoes for the cardinal's chapel and died here. Today the Palazzone is part of the Scuola Normale di Pisa.
Among the exhibits are a slate slab of Polymnia, an Etruscan lamp of the 5th cent BC, a Bronze votive hand, a statue of the two-headed god Janus, a tryptich of Our Lady and Saints by ‘’Bicci di Lorenzo’’ (16th cent), an Egyptian wooden boat of the dead from the 12th dynasty (2000 to 1788 BC).. You can download a plan of the museum here [http://www.cortonamaec.org/museo/mappe_maec.pdf]
Traditional riding ground with wooden stables accommodating over thirty horses. Horseback riding lessons, activities and trekking in the nearby woods are arranged daily. Rides are planned according to riding ability and your personal preference. You will also be able to assist in the daily tasks of the manège and in the training of horses. Outdoor dinners are arranged.
Three double bedrooms, each with its own bathroom. Guests have full use of the indoor common rooms such as the library, the sitting rooms and the dining room. There are also the outside spaces; the park, the orchard with its views of Cortona, the garden with its 180° views toward Montepulciano, Mount Amiata, Sinalunga and Monte San Savino, the swimming pool.
Inside the 30,000 sq. m. park there is a hundred year old red wood (sequoia) tree that dominates the Italian gardens that are lined with spaces and relaxing paths. The hotel consists of three independent residential units: the central villa dating back to 1700 with the attached private chapel, and the two side annexes, Il Villino and La Limonaia.
With its refined lounges, and finely furnished, frescoed bedrooms, welcome to the cosy atmosphere of one of the town's most elegant residences. Besides the charm of its history, the building enjoys a scenic position. Villa Marsili is inside Cortona's ancient walls. 27 rooms, all equipped with modern comforts.
Pratovalle country house is an old barn restored to four comfortable apartments with air conditioning, dishwasher, oven, and satellite TV. Around the house there is a park with olive trees, cypresses and other long-stemmed plants where it is possible to relax and eat. Big swimming pool.
Originally the Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo was built in the 13th century. Its tower was destroyed later. The interior of the palace was renovated by Cardinal Silvio Passerini, who owned the palace from 1514 onwards. It appears to currently be serving as a vacation rental location.
The farmhouse suites hotel is divided into eight suites, Tuscan style, surrounded by 7,000 square metres of land used for lawn, gardens, olive trees. Parking, a children's play area, a swimming pool surrounded by nature and history, and sun terraces with views of Cortona.
Elegantly furnished and carefully restored ground floor apartments in an ancient building in the historical centre of Cortona. Each apartment has a wonderful view over the Chiana Valley and Trasimeno Lake, and is in a quiet area with public parking just 50 metres away.
Built at the beginning of the 13th century and reconstructed around 1275 by ''Master Tuto''. The balcony on the facade was added in the 16th cent. The councilors' hall dated from the original building. It has a roof with painted beams and a 16th-century chimney piece.
An annual event in summer. Festival with concerts performed by the world’s most acclaimed musical artists, exhibitions with leading visual artists, discussions with top literary figures and culinary delights with the finest chefs and winemakers.
Ancient stone farmhouse, restored in keeping with its original character is in the countryside at 350 m above sea level and is just 8 km from Cortona. It is in the middle of lovely lawns, sunflower, corn, wheat fields, and woods.
5, 10 and 20 day one teacher to one student intensive Maya 3D animation courses at 3D3 World at the Castello Neve. Training is by industry professionals and all meals and accommodation are included.
The palace is the work of ''Giovanni Battista di Cristofano Infregliati'', called ''Cirstofanello''. It was begun in 1533. Today it is the seat of the Banca Populare of Cortona.
Several apartments at the Castello Neve ranging from 20-100 square metres in the village of Poggioni 12 miles outside of Cortona on the Tuscan Umbrian border.
B&B €12.50, Family €16.50/2-4 person, Meal €9. Beds: 80 (in room for 2-4-6 or 8). Opens March 15-Oct 15 except with group reservation.
A small boutique hotel/B&B. 5 guest bedrooms, all with luxury bathrooms and 2 suite apartments for 2–4 guests. Heated swimming pool.
When you arrive at Borgo Il Melone, you will behold a vast stretch of bright green fields, with an area of almost 9 acres.
A Fransiscan monastery on the slopes of Mount S.Egidio. The cell which was inhabited ba Saint Francis has been preserved.
An elegant and aristocratic house of the 1600s, it has been recently restored. The hotel is quite peaceful.
In the Piazza Garibaldi in the centre of Cortona overlooking the Val di Chiana and the Lake Trasimeno.
Rugapiana is surrounded by Etruscan walls, overlooking the valley and the lake Trasimeno.
Built in 1730 by the German architect ''Marco Tsucher''; today the court of law.
The completely restored farm house overlooks a beautiful valley.
Wine bar/restaurant in the historical centre of Cortona.