The nave and the southern side of the church were built during the 16th century, the framework is dated with an inscription of 1503. The church has a porch provided with a carinated archway.
The chapel seems to have been built during the 17th century, even though the sculpted pediment at the top of the eastern door seems to date from the 15th or 16th century.
This chapel, belonging to Saint-Jacques de Montfort abbey, is built in schist and in pudding stone.
The parish of Breteil resulted from the division of the former parish of Pleumeleuc in 1122. In this year the bishop of Aleth consecrated the church of Breteil to Benedictin monks of Saint-Melaine de Rennes.