The town of Bad Salzdetfurth has been mentioned in documents for the first time in 1194. It developed into a small trading center at the old Frankfurt highway. The main trading good was salt from the local mines. Salt was also in the subsequent centuries the largest source of income in the village. But fires and floods affected the development again and again. As the salt trade declined at the end of the 19th century, a saline bath was opened to promote tourism. In 1929 the town was named Bad (Spa). Bad Salzdetfurth was granted city rights in 1949. Today the salt mining has been abandoned and tourism is very important for the registered moor and saline bath.